Thursday, December 15, 2005

Slaves for SAF / Slaves of Christ?

I haven been working in the navy for sometime now. One of the most difficult lesson i've learning is submission to leadership. I've always wondered why do have to! Sometimes its just hard not to complain or grumble. But somehow i struggled after doing that! Then of course, i went to the bible... And in Col 3:22- Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything; and do it, not only when their eye is on you and to win their favor, but with sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord.

The verse says earthly masters. Its doesnt say Good earthly master. But it say YOUR EARTHLY MASTERS. Therefore it doesnt matter whether they are good or evil. Actually evil may not even be the right word in certain situations. Maybe their leadership may contradict my ways or reasonings. Its may not nessarliy mean bad just not compatible with me.

Reverence for the Lord? True reverence is revealed by obedience. God has commanded nothing that is unessential, and there is no way of manifesting reverence so pleasing to Him as by obedience to that which He has spoken. Going on, in the 1Peter2:18- Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh. 19For it is commendable if a man bears up under the pain of unjust suffering because he is conscious of God.20But how is it to your credit if you receive a beating for doing wrong and endure it? But if you suffer for doing good and you endure it, this is commendable before God..

Suffering wrongfully! Sometimes its just so hard. My feelings almost always rides over my faith. But then i decided to always go before the Lord, before i go say to another. In doing so, I found was no need for me to go tell another( gossip/ speak evil). Yes, they maybe harsh towards me but what will be my response. I shall pray for them and not talk ill of them. It is so easy to talk ill of them, because thats what the rest are doing. But looking unto Christ, Christ suffered for us and should'nt we follow his steps?? So if we do, its commendable. What does it then mean he is conscious of God when he bears up under the unjust suffering? Is it talking the level of intimacy that you have faith to see 'beyond the line'. If i'm able to bear up under unjust suffering, there must be that 'peace that surpasses our understanding' within. So why do i seemed to be weighed down by it at times? Jesus Christ came to send a sword through every peace that is not based on a personal relationship to Himself. I must go deeper in intimacy with Him.

Then my reflection took a turn what does it mean to obey? To really obey? How would i even know i'm obeying them?? A few flips of the pages brought me to Ephesians 6:5 - Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ. 6Obey them not only to win their favor when their eye is on you, but like slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from your heart. 7Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not men,8because you know that the Lord will reward everyone for whatever good he does, whether he is slave or free.

Serving the Lord. Wah! Thats what it means to obey. I was amazed. On the other hand, how much trouble i had obeying them. People say regulars are sold off to SAF, but the bible says like slaves of christ, meaning: we are sold to Jesus. Yea!
Its easy to say "I will obey the Lord!" But if i cant seem to even obey the seen, then what more about the unseen. Its about Integrity. It is now, me 'ye of little faith' begining to build my faith by obeying His word.


My prayer: " Lord, test my faith. Let it be tried with fire so that it maybe proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed." - In Jesus name. Amen!

No comments: